Now that we've walked through the "how" and the "center stone" side of things, it is time to talk STYLE.
Many women have thought about what they have dreamed about for an engagement ring; however, there are a good number who haven't put time into considering design - and that is okay!
Style is when an initial appointment as a couple can really help you to get a good idea of what she likes, but it is not necessary. Pinterest can be a great place to check out her ring style, too!
Things To Consider
Here are a few things to consider when choosing the right design:
1. Consider the style of her other jewelry. Does she like to make a big statement with her pieces, or does she choose daintier styles?
2. Though some women have the exact design they want in mind, they may want you to take charge and surprise her. It is a gift, after all, and may take some creativity springing out of your love for her & desire to honor her.
3. She will be wearing this every day for a good long while - make sure it's not too dainty of a design that it might bend or cause problems!
4. Trends are great and can have a lot of people swooning. However, you want to make sure that she is going to be happy with this for a good many years, unless you plan on doing upgrades often. Be trendy if you will, but consider longevity of style.
5. Make the design as fantastic as you'd like, but keep in mind safety - are there diamonds on the bottom of the band? Too lightly set stones? Edges of stones too exposed? We want to make sure that you don't experience any issues right away.
We're here to help you find the right ring, but also to offer you our industry-tested advice so that you can design the best ring that will last!
General Style Options
In the overarching engagement ring design world, there are a few "basic" categories to get you started.
1. The Solitaire [Classic] - This refers to a ring that has a precious metal shank with one single center stone at the top. The band may be simple, or have more intricate design. These have been popular for ages, and carry a timeless look that many women love.
2. Organic/Floral & Filigree [Natural & Whimsical] - For the more natural women, nature lovers, or Disney princesses. There are many gorgeous designs that have a natural flow to them, whether depicting leaves & berries, flowers, vines, branches, or anything of the like.
3. Engraved/Carved [Artistic] - Engraving or carving designs into the metal can bring a whole other dimension to a ring. It can be geometric, floral, or any number of more customized options. These rings may have any number of stones on them, whether as a centerpiece or incorporated into the design.
4. Vintage or Antique [Old World] - Maybe long ago she fell in love with her grandmother's wedding set, or perhaps she is an old soul. Vintage style rings often have beautifully combined elements of other categories that brings about memories of black and white movies.
5. Trendy [Of the Moment] - Right now, we are seeing a jump in rose gold & morganite center stone rings. Another couple trends that have been more popular (but we doubt will go out of style any time soon) are cushion halos with dainty bands and bands that have a twisty pattern to them, often with one twist being polished metal and the other set with diamonds.
Is this the end of the list? By no means! This is meant to give you an introduction into some of the more common styles so that you can start thinking about what might fit her personality the best.
There are many different elements in a ring design that combine to make the perfect ring for your bride-to-be. Let's talk through a few of them, and you can decide what she might really enjoy, or what you may need to avoid! Here are a variety of options:
Have something else in mind that we haven't mentioned? No need to fear - this is not an exhaustive list! It can be really helpful to have pictures of ideas or elements that you or her like about a particular ring, and we can work to incorporate that into the ring design.
Hopefully now you are formulating the start of an idea for what she might like - if not, don't be too hard on yourself. That is what we're here for - to help guide you on this exciting journey!
Maybe there is more you'd like to add - perhaps something a little more unique. Some color? A secret addition, just for her?
We've got a few options:
Whatever you would like to present to your special someone, we are here to help! Bridal is one of our favorite parts, as it is so exciting to get to know you and your bride-to-be and design something so special and meaningful.
Check back tomorrow for the final blog post in this series: Customization!