Now that we've walked through the "how" and the "center stone" side of things, it is time to talk STYLE.
Many women have thought about what they have dreamed about for an engagement ring; however, there are a good number who haven't put time into considering design - and that is okay!
Style is when an initial appointment as a couple can really help you to get a good idea of what she likes, but it is not necessary. Pinterest can be a great place to check out her ring style, too!
Things To Consider
Here are a few things to consider when choosing the right design:
1. Consider the style of her other jewelry. Does she like to make a big statement with her pieces, or does she choose daintier styles?
2. Though some women have the exact design they want in mind, they may want you to take charge and surprise her. It is a gift, after all, and may take some creativity springing out of your love for her & desire to honor her.
3. She will be wearing this every day for a good long while - make sure it's not too dainty of a design that it might bend or cause problems!
4. Trends are great and can have a lot of people swooning. However, you want to make sure that she is going to be happy with this for a good many years, unless you plan on doing upgrades often. Be trendy if you will, but consider longevity of style.
5. Make the design as fantastic as you'd like, but keep in mind safety - are there diamonds on the bottom of the band? Too lightly set stones? Edges of stones too exposed? We want to make sure that you don't experience any issues right away.
We're here to help you find the right ring, but also to offer you our industry-tested advice so that you can design the best ring that will last!
General Style Options
In the overarching engagement ring design world, there are a few "basic" categories to get you started.
1. The Solitaire [Classic] - This refers to a ring that has a precious metal shank with one single center stone at the top. The band may be simple, or have more intricate design. These have been popular for ages, and carry a timeless look that many women love.
2. Organic/Floral & Filigree [Natural & Whimsical] - For the more natural women, nature lovers, or Disney princesses. There are many gorgeous designs that have a natural flow to them, whether depicting leaves & berries, flowers, vines, branches, or anything of the like.
3. Engraved/Carved [Artistic] - Engraving or carving designs into the metal can bring a whole other dimension to a ring. It can be geometric, floral, or any number of more customized options. These rings may have any number of stones on them, whether as a centerpiece or incorporated into the design.
4. Vintage or Antique [Old World] - Maybe long ago she fell in love with her grandmother's wedding set, or perhaps she is an old soul. Vintage style rings often have beautifully combined elements of other categories that brings about memories of black and white movies.
5. Trendy [Of the Moment] - Right now, we are seeing a jump in rose gold & morganite center stone rings. Another couple trends that have been more popular (but we doubt will go out of style any time soon) are cushion halos with dainty bands and bands that have a twisty pattern to them, often with one twist being polished metal and the other set with diamonds.
Is this the end of the list? By no means! This is meant to give you an introduction into some of the more common styles so that you can start thinking about what might fit her personality the best.
There are many different elements in a ring design that combine to make the perfect ring for your bride-to-be. Let's talk through a few of them, and you can decide what she might really enjoy, or what you may need to avoid! Here are a variety of options:
Have something else in mind that we haven't mentioned? No need to fear - this is not an exhaustive list! It can be really helpful to have pictures of ideas or elements that you or her like about a particular ring, and we can work to incorporate that into the ring design.
Hopefully now you are formulating the start of an idea for what she might like - if not, don't be too hard on yourself. That is what we're here for - to help guide you on this exciting journey!
Maybe there is more you'd like to add - perhaps something a little more unique. Some color? A secret addition, just for her?
We've got a few options:
Whatever you would like to present to your special someone, we are here to help! Bridal is one of our favorite parts, as it is so exciting to get to know you and your bride-to-be and design something so special and meaningful.
Check back tomorrow for the final blog post in this series: Customization!
1/28/2021 01:48:30 pm
I like your idea to pick a ring with a secret diamond under the center stone that can only be seen from the underside of the band. One of my close friends asked for my help choosing an engagement ring for his girlfriend so he can propose on the anniversary of when they met this summer. Thanks for sharing this article and giving me unique and meaningful ideas for the ring when we go shopping!
2/4/2021 06:03:17 pm
Thanks for explaining how old elements in a ring can make it more vintage with an older soul. My brother has been thinking about proposing to his girlfriend because he wants to grow old with her. He would really like to get some help from a professional to ensure that he can get the right style.
10/15/2021 02:14:10 pm
It was helpful when you said to consider her style of jewelry. My brother wants to purpose to his girlfriend. I'll make sure to pass these tips along to him as he searches for an engagement ring to get.
11/10/2021 11:39:43 am
Thank you for explaining some of the different style elements. My son is thinking about proposing to his girlfriend and now just needs to find the right ring. I'll be sure to share this with him so that he can think about what kind of style ring his girlfriend might like.
12/9/2021 09:06:12 am
My son wants to get engaged, but he's not sure how to choose a ring. It makes sense that I would want to let him know to look for some trendy ring designs. That way, he can choose one that's sure to impress.
12/21/2021 10:19:47 am
I like that this post underlined that when looking for engagement rings, it is important that we consider the style. It makes sense as the engagement ring has to be meaningful. I will definitely mention this tip to my brother who is planning to propose to his girlfriend this weekend.
1/13/2022 03:56:53 pm
I didn't know that a lot of women have dreamed about their engagement rings. I hope to find one that matches my girlfriend's dreams. Maybe I can go shopping with her.
1/27/2022 05:43:07 pm
Thanks for pointing out that engraving or carving designs into the metal can bring a whole other dimension to a ring. My brother is finally planning to get married to his long-time girlfriend in June. I guess I should tell him to look for a jewelry store on Monday that can allow him to design his own custom engagement ring to surprise his girlfriend.
2/16/2022 11:17:20 am
I am most captured by engraving or carving designs since they can offer a whole other feature to a ring. My friend would be interested in it since he's looking for engagement ring ideas. I'll share this post with him so he knows what to look for when he visits a jewelry store.
5/7/2022 12:56:49 am
I like that you said that you should consider the style that she like and other things that she would like. Last night, my brother told me that he was hoping to find handcrafted jewelry that he would give to his wife for their 1st wedding anniversary, and he asked if I had any idea what would be the best option. Thanks to this enlightening article, I'll be sure to tell him that it will be much better if he consults a well-known handcrafted jewelry store as they can help him with his options.
5/16/2022 02:55:59 pm
Thank you for explaining that the height of the center stone depends on one's preference or career. My son has been wondering how to find a good ring for his girlfriend. I wonder if he's taken this into consideration during his search.
8/12/2022 05:52:11 am
Very nice post and those jewelry collections so amaze me, especially the rings. The girl who wears white shirts with her rings. I think I like it very much. My website <a href="https://angelalchemyjewelry.com">Angel Alchemy Jewelry</a>
9/12/2022 03:31:14 pm
Great article. A good blog always comes up with new and exciting information and while reading.
11/25/2022 09:58:25 am
Very nice blog and articles. I am realy very happy to visit your blog. Now I am found which I actually want. I check your blog everyday and try to learn something from your blog. Thank you and waiting for your new post
12/19/2022 04:04:35 am
I like to follow the information on this blog because the content is useful and can increase our knowledge, this blog is cool
1/13/2023 11:22:22 am
Thank you for your suggestion to look into diamonds down the band. My cousin is hoping to propose to his girlfriend and has been trying to get some ideas for what she may like. I think that this could work well with her style, so I'll pass it on to him to see if he agrees.
I love that you suggested having engraving features on the ring, because you can add a special note to it when you propose to your special someone. I will suggest this to my brother, because he has mentioned proposing to his partner of eight years. Their anniversary would probably be the best time to propose as well which is three months from now, so he still has enough time to prepare for this.
3/28/2023 11:14:14 pm
Thank you for noting that while some women have a certain design in mind, others would prefer that you take the lead and pleasantly surprise her. My friend wants to ask his partner to marry him. I'll advise him to get the engagement ring he desires at a jewelry shop.
Leave a Reply.
Assistant Manager Jenna Rogers gets the answers from our jeweler to your most important jewelry questions!